The European open data portal is possibly the biggest open data portal in the world with more than one million free datasets coming from 36 countries.
One of the mechanisms to access its data is the use of the standard of DCAT-AP standard 2.0 which defines its catalogue of resources.
In the repository pending there are two data models, in progress to connect a dataset and a distribution as an additional resource by using NGSI. The idea is to create a script to map this resource into NGSI.
Every data model has a directory with examples of the payloads (json and jsonld) in key-values and normalized formats.
But it also includes examples of csv that it could help to connect the data models for other platforms.
Now, these examples are re-created automatically once a day.
The naming convention for these examples are the same name of the original payload plus a .csv suffix.
An example for the Battery data model examples.
In the upper menu (option Search descriptions) there is a searchable database of the descriptions for all the properties across the different data models.
Try it out here.
This DDBB is updated daily.
1.- It is just a technical improvement but now you can access everything in this site with https://data-models.fiware.org.
2.- The issue form has also been improved with new options but simplified structure.
Check it out and please report any issue.
Every subject had a file named CONTRIBUTORS.md which compiles all contributors to the different data models in this subject. However, from the point of view of the management, it was not a structured format. Due to this, it is going to be replaced with a new file named CONTRIBUTORS.yaml with the same info but structured so we could manage properly and answer questions like:
- How many contributors collaborate in this subject?
- How many subjects are being contributed by this person?
- What organisations are contributing to the initiative?
Now there is also a field for allocating comments.
The format is friendly enough to be simply edited but at the same time, it can be automatically processed.
Next week CONTRIBUTORS.md will be removed from the different repos.
Now it is based on a responsive interface with these options:
- Sort any column
- Search on any value across the different columns
- 50-pages pagination
check it out
In order to create a new data model is always interesting what others have done in order copy and to maintain interoperability.
That’s why we have available a database with all attributes and enumerations across all data models.
Now it’s updated daily and the number of occurrences is also available.
We are testing a potential new format for the specification that
1) makes easier for people to read the specification
2) provides additional utility to be connected with other platforms making NGSI more compatible
Could you check these two new specifications Building, BuildingOperation compared with the old two Building, BuildingOperation and gives us your opinion?
(once in, click on the name of the object for deploying all the content)
The actual new specs are here without viewer (building, building operation) what you see above is generated automatically from the yaml specs.
What’s the idea behind adopting yaml specifications? To allow multiple evolutions (automatic multilanguage spec, integration with other platforms, etc)
Some of the contributors have requested some help about creating new data models. How to do it and where to do it.
HOW TO CREATE DATA MODELS
1) If you are clear about the payloads that you want to share (you have a plain key values json payload)
2) You can use this tool https://www.liquid-technologies.com/online-json-to-schema-converter (This link is always available in the Learning Zone on the upper menu, section tools)
to generate a draft version of the json schema. You will have to review (for sure).
– Whether you need some restrictions (min, max) on number properties
– The number of required properties
– The full list of options in enumeration properties
– Remove the context (it is treated as property)
– Check the Arrays (minItems, etc)
and possibly some other minor issues
WHERE TO CREATE DATA MODELS
3) We offer an open repository named pending for you to contribute while developing. Ask for access raising an issue with the option ‘Access to pending repository’
Every day will be checked the documentation available for each data model and the result is dumped in the file documentationStatus.json
It would help a user to identify all the documentation, examples, schemas and specification available and it allows an automated use for any other purpose.
Check it out.